Coronavirus: two deaths in Wuhan thought to be first of foreign nationals

9th February 2020 伊桑·湖北武汉 0

US citizen, 60, died of virus, while Japan says citizen who died had symptoms of virus
A US national in China has become the first foreigner confirmed to have died from the new coronavirus, while a Japanese man also died after experiencing symptoms consistent with the disease, authorities have said.
Officials announced the death toll had risen to 724, with 86 more people dying in mainland China – the highest one-day jump so far. The toll is nearing the 774 killed worldwide during the 2002-03 Sars epidemic.
What is the virus causing illness in Wuhan?
Related: China's ghost cities: fear of coronavirus leaves streets deserted
Continue reading…

Coronavirus live updates: cruise ship cases rise to 61 as China mourns whistleblower doctor – latest news

9th February 2020 伊桑·湖北武汉 0

Li Wenliang’s death in Wuhan comes as Hong Kong prepares to impose quarantine on mainland travellers. Follow live updates
Doctor who blew whistle over coronavirus has died, hospital saysProfile of whistleblower doctorFirst British national to contract coronavirus had been in SingaporeShare your stories 1.05am GMT
Australia’s ABC TV is talking to their reporter on the scene where the Diamond Princess is docked. He says some people onboard the ship have been let out of their rooms for short times, but there are others who he believes are still confined to their room.s
1.03am GMT
Another 41 passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise liner moored in the Japanese port of Yokohama have been diagnosed with coronavirus. This brings the total on the ship to 61. By my calculations also raises Japan’s number of confirmed infections to 86.
12.32am GMT
Good morning and welcome to our live coverage of the coronavirus outbreak, with me, Alison Rourke.
The Chinese Health Commission has just releas..

Coronavirus: 42 travellers denied entry to Sarawak thus far

9th February 2020 Wolfgang Holzem 0

Of the total, 22 were Chinese nationals, seven from Hong Kong, six from Indonesia, four from Brunei and one each from Great Britain, Japan and Singapore. — Picture via Facebook/ Noor Hisham Abdullah
KUCHING, Feb 7 — The Sarawak Immigration Department has refused entry to a total of 42 foreigners at its visitor arrival screening points from February 1 until 7am this morning, the State Disaster Management Committee on 2019 novel coronavirus said.
In a statement today, the committee said the screenings were done at the airports in Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu, Miri, and Mulu, as well as the Immigration, Customs, Quarantine and Security (ICQS) border checkpoints at Biawak near Lundu, Sungai Tujoh (Miri) and Mengkalap (Lawas).
“Of the total being refused entry, 22 were Chinese nationals, Hong Kong (seven), Indonesia (six), Brunei (four) and one each from Great Britain, Japan and Singapore. They were refused entry as their passports had shown that they had been to China within the last 14 days,” ..