In a tragic accident, a 66-year-old expatriate from Australia and his 10-year-old Thai son were electrocuted at their home while trying to fix the swimming pool’s water pump.
The unfortunate incident took place at house no. 99/1 inside Toem Sap Natural Home, a gated community in Noen Phra subdistrict of Rayong province. Rescue workers of the Sawang Pornkuson Foundation who were the first to arrive at the scene notified Mueang Rayong Provincial Police Station of the death of two persons at 16:30.
When police arrived at the two-storey house, rescue workers led officers to the swimming pool in the front area of the single home. “About five metres next to the pool, we found the bodies of a foreign man and a child lying in front of a storage room which contains a water pump,” deputy investigator Pol Capt Gawiwut Bunrueang described the scene.
The visibly distressed wife, Somruedi Kailop Fenwick, 41, told police in tears that the two were her husband and son. “We identified them as Andrew Fenwick, 66, and Jason Krailop Fenwick, 10,” Pol Capt Gawiwut told reporters who quickly gathered outside the home. “Mr Fenwick was an Australian national, his son Jason was born in Thailand and held Thai citizenship.”
According to Pol Capt Gawiwut, Mr Fenwick was still holding a metal wrench in his right hand while his son’s left hand was clinging to the iron gate which acted as a door to the storage room in which the three horsepower water pump is stored. “Jason had traces of burns on his left hand, body and face,” the investigator said.
A medical examiner from Rayong Hospital who briefly examined the body noted that rigor mortis had already set in and estimated the two had been dead for at least three hours before police arrived. Rescue volunteers cut off the power supply in the pool area to safely remove the bodies and bring them to Rayong Hospital for an official autopsy.
In a preliminary report, investigator Pol Capt Gawiwut wrote that Mr Fenwick was electrocuted during his attempt to fix the swimming pool’s water pump when a leak sprung among the cables. When his son Jason saw that his father was in danger, he rushed to his help and was also shocked by the leak on the wet floor.
We will be together forever! I’ll talk to you everyday will look at you everyday
#Love you forever Jason Fenwick Andrew Fenwick
Posted by Ning Fenwick on Dienstag, 15. August 2017
Pol Capt Gawiwut questioned Mr Fenwick’s wife who was still in a state of shock and had to be calmed down by medical staff. “Mrs Fenwick told us that she was not at home at the time of the incident because she was attending a meeting at the Tamarind Garden Hotel Rayong. Only after a neighbour called and told her that her husband and son had been electrocuted, she rushed the three kilometres from the hotel back to her home and broke down in tears when she discovered what had happened to her loved ones.”
Around the same time, 51-year-old Gomin Jitiworapan, one of the security guards of the Toem Sap Natural Home housing estate, was patrolling the area when he saw that the door of the Fenwick’s family house stood wide open.
According to Mr Gomin, he then saw a young boy, who later turned out to be the family’s youngest son Justin, 4, running towards him. “He reportedly was crying for help and saying that his father had just died,” Pol Capt Gawiwut quoted the guard. Mr Gomin then immediately alerted rescue services.
Mr Fenwick was born in Devizes, a market town in Wiltshire, England before he moved to Australia and adopted the Australian citizenship. After he retired, he moved to Thailand and married Mrs Somruedi who gave birth to two sons Jason and Justin.
The case report "Andrew Fenwick" appeared first on Farang Deaths. Visit Farang Deaths to read more news about foreign deaths in Thailand.