Montepulciano is a city in Tuscany famous for its wines, especially the classic red wine Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. The town has gained notability from being used as a location for the Twilight films.
Montepulciano is a few kilometres from the A1 Autostrada and from the more scenic SS2 from Rome to Florence. Cars are not allowed inside the historical old town (except with a permit, available from hotels) so park in one of the numerous lots at the edge of the town. The lots fill up quickly in late summer, the height of the tourist season.
Buses, departing from Piazza Pietro Nenni, connect Montepulciano with many other Tuscan cities: Siena (75 minutes, 4/day none on Sunday), Pienza (30 minutes, 8/day), Montalcino (1 hour, 10/day, change in Torrenien) and Chiusi (hourly). Route #146 into Montepulciano is quite scenic. See Tuscany#Get_around for tips.
If you are walking into town from the bus station (autostazione in Italian), there is a pedestrian short-cut with an elevator and stairs to the top of the cliff. The entrance is through a portal on Via delle Lettere at the corner of Piazzale dello Sterro, about 50 m from the bus station.
The nearest railhead is a half-hour away at Chiusi from where there are frequent trains to Florence and Rome.
The only way to get around is to walk along the steep pathways.
- Tourist Information. Monday – Saturday 09:30-12:30 & 15:00-18:00, Su 09:30-12:30. The office is on Piazza don Minzoni.
- Piazza Grande. Pleasant piazza surrounded by great architecture, like the medieval Palazzo Comunale, Contucci Palace, & Palazzo de’ Nobili-Tarugi
- Civic Museum, on Via Ricci. Tu-Sa 10:00-13:00, 15:00-18:00; Su 10:00-18:00. This small museum’s highlight is the della Robbia ceramic alterpieces & Etruscan artifacts. €4.10.
- San Biagio Church. Open daily 9AM-1PM & 3PM-7PM. A wonderful Renaissance church with soaring nave & dome, with a challenging walk from the church to the town center.
- Palazzo Comunale. The clock tower of the Palazzo Comunale can be climbed for a great town view (€1.60 open daily 10:00-18:00)
- Wine tasting can be done in the Cantinas along Via Ricci & Via di Gracciano nel Corso, but the most fun one is in the basement of the Contucci Palace, on Piazza Grande. Free tasting, no food, open daily 08:30-12:30 & 14:30-18:30. Groups welcome with a reservation. Telephone: +39 0578-757-006
- The house and property of La Foce is a short trip away. The 15th century villa was built as an inn for pilgrims and merchants traveling on the ancient road to Rome, Via Francigena. Restored as a private home by Iris and Antonio Origo, the house and the gardens make for a pleasant two hour visit from Montepulciano. The villa and property (as also are Montepulciano and Chiusi) are the centerpiece of the very readable book War in the Val D’Orcia by Iris Origo. Summertime music concerts are also featured. All tours are guided, so call ahead.
- Market Day is Thursday
- Enrico Crociani men’s clothing, Via Dell’Opio nel Corso, 6 , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10:30-13:00, 15:00-19:30. Handicrafted local-made man’s clothing
- Ai Quattro Venti, Next to city hall on Piazza Grande. F-W 12:30-14:00 & 19:30-22:30. Fresh, flavorful, & fun, on Piazza Grande with indoor & outdoor seating. €7 pastas.
- Osteria dell’Aquacheta, on Via del Teatro. W-M 12:30-15:00 & 19:30-22:30. €5 pastas & salads.
Montepulciano is the center of an ancient wine-growing region, so go ahead and sample some. Three varieties of wine are available (all are mostly from the sangiovese grape): Rosso di Montepulciano, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Reserva, in increasing order of subtlety and price. The wines tend to be full-bodied, the kind that goes well with a picture of generations of Tuscan peasants, sitting in the fields, eating cinghiale (boar) while swigging the good stuff!
Where to stay in Montepulciano
- Mueble il Riccio , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 6 medieval elegant rooms, an awesome rooftop terrace, & friendly owners. Breakfast €8, air-conditioning, a block below main square at Via Talosa. Gio & Ivana speak English, Gio or his son give country tours in one of their classic cars for €25/hour. Single w/bathroom €80, double w/bathroom from €100.
- Camere Bellavista Has 10 rooms, some with better views than others. Room 6 has a terrace worth reserving. Double w/bathroom €55, nicer double w/bathroom €65, breakfast €2.50, cash only, no elevator, on Via Ricci 25, little English spoken, Mobile phone: 347-823-2314
- Via della Stella. 15 km from Montepulciano and Cortona. Complex comprises 2 independent buildings equipped with own outdoor areas and finished and furnished with Tuscan pieces, with wrought-iron beds. 9×18 m pool, whirlpool (extra), ping-pong, playground for children, bowl-court and barbecue. Parking by the farmhouse.
- Borgo Tre Rose (Borgo Tre Rose), Via dei Palazzi, 5. 3-star hotel with swimming pool, located in the Tuscan hills not far from Montepulciano historical center. Room rates from €110 to €180.
- Agriturismo B&B Casa di Bacco, Via della Fornace Valiano 16. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 10:00. Farmhome hotel with seven rooms (four shower and three jacuzzi) and one apartment (fireplace and jacuzzi). Each room has comforts as lcd tv, satellite decoder, minibar, air conditioning. Private parking, barbecue and gazebo available. Swimming pool will be open at night hour also. Offered service is bed and breakfast (continental buffet). €100-150.
- Fonte Martino Guest House & Estate, Via di Valardegna 8 (5-minute drive from the center) , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 11am. Panoramic views of historic Montepulciano and the Valdichiana. Each unique suite is designed with modern, elegant, and rustic elements, blended into the rooms of the three towns after which they are named – Montepulciano, Siena, and Cortona. €279-299.
- Chianciano Terme
Search Library of Italy
La Spezia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to La Spezia Liguria Italy
La Spezia is a town in Liguria in the northwestern region of Italy. Understand La Spezia is one of the four provinces of Liguria...
Bergamo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Bergamo is a city in Lombardy, a region of Italy, and the capital of the namesake province. One of the...
Asti Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Asti is the capital of the province of Asti, one of most important wine areas in Italy, and lends its name...
Milan Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Milan (Italian: Milano; Milanese: Milan) is financially the most important city in Italy, and home to the Borsa Italiana stock exchange. It is the second...
Ischia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Campania Italy
Ischia is the largest island in the bay of Naples and is considered by many to be the most beautiful, (though Capri is considerably more...
Turin Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Turin (Italian: Torino, Piedmontese: Turin), a large city of about one million inhabitants, is set in the Piedmont region of northwestern Italy, a one-hour drive from the...
Florence Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Tuscany Italy
Florence (Italian: Firenze) is the capital of the region of Tuscany in Italy, with a population of about 366,500. The city is a cultural, artistic...
Capri Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Campania Italy
The small Italian island of Capri is situated 5 km from the mainland in the Bay of Naples, a celebrated beauty spot and coastal resort since...
Lake Garda Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto
Lake Garda is a lake in the north of Italy, and the surrounding region. It is a popular holiday location. Browse down...
Bologna Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Northern Italy
Bologna (Emilian: Bulåggna) is a historical city, with around 380,000 inhabitants. Although it is well known by Italians, it is less so...
Pavia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Southern Lombardy
Pavia is a city in Lombardy, home to one of the oldest universities in Europe (founded in 1361) and many interesting churches....
Cortina d’Ampezzo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto Italy
ortina d’Ampezzo, is a ski resort in Italy Understand The most famous, fashionable and expensive Italian ski resort. Even in summer,...
Cesenatico Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Emilia-Romagna Italy
Cesenatico is a port town with about 26,000 inhabitants on the Adriatic coast of Italy. It is located in the...
Savigliano Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Savigliano is a small city in Piedmont about 50 km south of Turin. Understand The main features of the town are its picturesque Piazza...
Genoa / Genova Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Liguria
Genoa (Italian: Genova, Ligurian: Zena) is a historic port city in northern Italy, the capital of the Liguria region. As a tourist attraction, is often overshadowed...
Chianciano Terme Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Siena Tuscany
Chianciano Terme is a city in Tuscany known for its therapeutic springs that have been healing Romans since ancient times. The meeting point...
Kastelruth Castelrotto Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 South Tyrol Südtirol
Kastelruth (Italian: Castelrotto) is in South Tyrol. Perched at about 1,000m above sea level in the Dolomites, this small town is a good...
Oltrepò Pavese Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Southern Lombardy
Though frequently called the Tuscany of the North of Italy, the Oltrepò Pavese in Lombardy is fairly unknown abroad. Tourists pass the area...
Colico Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 at Lake Como Lombardy
Colico (Colic in lariano-colichese) is a city in Lombardy. Located between the two Montecchios, at the border of the provinces of Lecco, Como...
Ferrara Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Emilia-Romagna Italy
Ferrara is a city in Italy. Together with the nearby delta of the Po river, Ferrara has been inscribed on the UNESCO World...
- Austria4 days ago
Greed won – Ischgl in Austria has become Europe’s coronavirus breeding ground
- Hong Kong3 days ago
Why does Beijing Risk Hong Kong’s Future as a Global Financial Center?
- Germany2 days ago
Chinese Guest Scientists in Germany are often Members of the Chinese Military PLA
- Hong Kong3 days ago
Tony Chung : First Arrests under new Security Law in Hong Kong