Pienza is a city in the Val d’Orcia region of Tuscany, Italy.
Pienza, formerly the village of Corsignano, was renamed and redesigned as a completely planned Gothic architecture town, in honor of and at the command of the most famous of all its inhabitants in history, Pope Pius II (1405-1464; reigned as Pope starting in 1458). Its Centro Storico is a UNESCO World Heritage site. UNESCO’s listing for Pienza can be seen at this link.
Buses run from Montepulciano (8/day 30 minutes), Montalcino (10/day change to line #114 in Torrenieri, lengthy changing time) and Siena (SITA runs several, though the exact number varies by season, 1 hour 15 minutes travel time; however, the latest bus returning from Pienza always leaves at 14:44).
Walk. There’s no need for public transit in this compact town.
- Piazza Pio II A grand & elegant square, surrounded by the city hall, with its bell tower, & the Piccolomini family palace
- Duomo It dominates the Piazza, with a fine interior & beautiful windows
- Palazzo Piccolomini. Once home of Pius II & the Piccolomini family, it can be visited with a 30 minute guided tour. €3.50, open tuesday to sunday 10:00-12:30 & 3:00-6:00, closed Monday & in the winter.
- The Diocesan Museum is filled with church paintings from the 12th to 17th centuries, €4.10, open Wednesday to Monday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00. closed Tuesday, open only on weekends in winter, on Corso il Rossellino
- View Terrace To the left of the church is a lane leading to a panorama of the countryside
- Tourist Information, fax: . The office is just up the street from Piazza Pio II, open Monday to Saturday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00, closed Sunday, you can leave your bags here. Telephone &
- Market Day is Friday
- Latte di Luna. has indoor & outdoor seating
- La Taverna di Re Artu, Via della Rosa. open daily 10:30-8:30. serves bruschetta & a wide variety of wine
- Ristorante dal Falco is a modern place with outdoor & indoor seating, €6 pastas, open Saturday to Thursday 12:00-3:00 & 7:00-10:00, closed Friday, on Piazza Dante Alighieri. Telephone: 0578-749-856, open Wednesday to Monday 12:30-2:30 & 7:30-9:30, closed Tuesday, at Porta al Giglio on Via San Carlo. Telephone: 0578-748-606
Where to stay in Pienza
- Agriturismo Le Macchie, Monticchiello di Pienza. Farmhouse.
- Agriturismo Terrapille It’s right below Pienza on a bluff, 4 rooms & 2 apartments, pool, on route #18 towards Monticchiello. Double w/bathroom €95, Quadruple w/bathroom €160, breakfast €7.50, dinner on request for €25. Telephone: 0578-748-434 Mobile: 338-920-4470
- Oliviera Camere Six simple rooms, breakfast in room, cash only, owner doesn’t speak English. Double w/bathroom €50, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-205 Mobile: 338-952-0459
- Il Giardino Segreto Camere Six rooms with a lovely, quiet garden, Double w/bathroom €62, apartment €67, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-539 Mobile: 338-899-5879
Buses leave for Siena (6/day 90 minutes) & Montepulciano (8/day 30 miuntes). Buy bus tickets from bar right buy town gate.
Aside from these towns, the cities of Florence, Pisa, & San Gimignano are great to go to
Search Library of Italy
La Spezia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to La Spezia Liguria Italy
La Spezia is a town in Liguria in the northwestern region of Italy. Understand La Spezia is one of the four provinces of Liguria...
Bergamo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Bergamo is a city in Lombardy, a region of Italy, and the capital of the namesake province. One of the...
Asti Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Asti is the capital of the province of Asti, one of most important wine areas in Italy, and lends its name...
Milan Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Milan (Italian: Milano; Milanese: Milan) is financially the most important city in Italy, and home to the Borsa Italiana stock exchange. It is the second...
Ischia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Campania Italy
Ischia is the largest island in the bay of Naples and is considered by many to be the most beautiful, (though Capri is considerably more...
Turin Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Turin (Italian: Torino, Piedmontese: Turin), a large city of about one million inhabitants, is set in the Piedmont region of northwestern Italy, a one-hour drive from the...
Florence Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Tuscany Italy
Florence (Italian: Firenze) is the capital of the region of Tuscany in Italy, with a population of about 366,500. The city is a cultural, artistic...
Capri Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Campania Italy
The small Italian island of Capri is situated 5 km from the mainland in the Bay of Naples, a celebrated beauty spot and coastal resort since...
Lake Garda Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto
Lake Garda is a lake in the north of Italy, and the surrounding region. It is a popular holiday location. Browse down...
Bologna Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Northern Italy
Bologna (Emilian: Bulåggna) is a historical city, with around 380,000 inhabitants. Although it is well known by Italians, it is less so...
Pavia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Southern Lombardy
Pavia is a city in Lombardy, home to one of the oldest universities in Europe (founded in 1361) and many interesting churches....
Cortina d’Ampezzo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto Italy
ortina d’Ampezzo, is a ski resort in Italy Understand The most famous, fashionable and expensive Italian ski resort. Even in summer,...
Cesenatico Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Emilia-Romagna Italy
Cesenatico is a port town with about 26,000 inhabitants on the Adriatic coast of Italy. It is located in the...
Savigliano Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Savigliano is a small city in Piedmont about 50 km south of Turin. Understand The main features of the town are its picturesque Piazza...
Genoa / Genova Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Liguria
Genoa (Italian: Genova, Ligurian: Zena) is a historic port city in northern Italy, the capital of the Liguria region. As a tourist attraction, is often overshadowed...
Chianciano Terme Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Siena Tuscany
Chianciano Terme is a city in Tuscany known for its therapeutic springs that have been healing Romans since ancient times. The meeting point...
Kastelruth Castelrotto Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 South Tyrol Südtirol
Kastelruth (Italian: Castelrotto) is in South Tyrol. Perched at about 1,000m above sea level in the Dolomites, this small town is a good...
Oltrepò Pavese Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Southern Lombardy
Though frequently called the Tuscany of the North of Italy, the Oltrepò Pavese in Lombardy is fairly unknown abroad. Tourists pass the area...
Colico Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 at Lake Como Lombardy
Colico (Colic in lariano-colichese) is a city in Lombardy. Located between the two Montecchios, at the border of the provinces of Lecco, Como...
Ferrara Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Emilia-Romagna Italy
Ferrara is a city in Italy. Together with the nearby delta of the Po river, Ferrara has been inscribed on the UNESCO World...