Valpolicella is a valley near Verona. It is well known all over the world for its wines: Recioto, ripasso and Amarone. It also offers a number of historical and art related things to see. relevant and interesting villages are: San Pietro Incariano, Fumane, Negrar. All of them are filled with wineries and places to eat, although the wineries are not as accessible to the public as some other world famous wine regions. For example, Negrar, “City of Wine,” only has a few places to taste the local wines. Visiting Valpolicella will pay dividends for the wine tourist, but these will not be as easy to realize as in other famous wine cities in Italy like Montalcino or Montepulciano, where tasting rooms are thick on the ground.
Valpolicella is rather close to lake Garda, the biggest lake in Italy.
To get to Valpolicella from Verona, take the ringroad and follow directions to Valpolicella-Trento. From highway A4 Milano Venezia, exit at Verona Sud and follow the quickway in direction Valpolicella-Trento. From Highway A22 Brennero Modena, exit at the Verona Nord gate, and you’re almost there, just follow the quickway until it ends.
Don’t miss the Palladian Villas in Negrar, Pedemonte and San Pietro in cariano. In Molina, just a few kilometers up Fumane, there is the beautiful Cascate di Molina park, with natural falls and hikes in the nature.
A tour of Valpolicella wineries. Visit the vineyards, cellars, grape drying centers (for the making of the Amarone) and taste Valpolicella wines. Information on: http://www.veronissima.com/sito_inglese/html/wine_ing.htm
There is an outdoor market in Negrar on Mondays. It is a typical Italian weekly market.
Beside wine, Valpolicella offers a wide variety of local food: Monte Veronese: is the typical cheese produced in Verona mountains. It can be fresh or aged Soppressa: the typical salami of Veneto region. Risotto all’Amarone: Risotto made with Valpolicella top wine: the Amarone
If you visit Valpolicella, chances are you are interested in the local wines. If you want to taste wine, be aware that wine tourism in Valpolicella is not as developed as that in other world famous wine regions like Tuscany, Piedmont, or Bourgogne-Franche-Comté. It can be challenging to taste the local wines in Valpolicella. You will need to do some homework in order to find the producers, and it is best to call ahead to arrange tastings. Some famous local wine producers, like Quintarelli, are not open to the public.
Notable local producers of amarone, ripasso, and recioto include Tomasso Bussola (Via Molino Turri 30, Negrar, Telephone: +39 045 750 1740, Fax: +39 045 601 1363), Zenato and Allegrini. Rubinelli Vajol. A little producer is Fratelli Vogadori (Via Vigolo, 16 Negrar Telephone +39 328 94 17 228 ) here you can always visit the winery and taste the wines. The winery is always avaible to support tourists to choose a good osteria, or a place where to sleep or to indicate what there is to see in Valpolicella. If you would like to sleep here, near the winery they have and apartment to rent.
Where to stay in Valpolicella
To sleep in Valpolicella, you’ll have to choose among nice small hotels to family bed & breakfast or winery where they produce the Amarone.
- Acinaticum Valpolicella you can sleep in the rooms in the side of Fratelli Vogadori winery so you can have a wonderful winetasting in the winery and after you can relax enjoying the panorama. It’s in Negrar on the Vigolo hill and there is a nice view of the Valpolicella. Amarone, Amarone Forlago, Recioto, Ripasso and Valpolicella are the wines you can taste and buy.
- Agriturismo del Bugiardo Agriturismo del Bugiardo is a Wine Resort close to Verona, in Valpolicella. A 4 star hotel with 20 rooms in typical style and with all the comforts of a great 4 star resort. Pearl of the Agriturismo del Bugiardo are the Wine Cave and the Locanda for high level dinner. A perfect escape just a walk from Verona.
- Hotel Valpolicella International The Hotel Valpolicella is a modern and well equipped 3 stars hotel, recently and completely renewed. It is located in the heart of Valpolicella and close the Highway A22. The hotel has 42 comfortable bedrooms, all equipped with TV, air conditioning, telephone, minibar and hairdryer. The Hotel Valpolicella also provides a meeting room, the restaurant and pizzeria *
- Corteforte B&B The farm holidays Corteforte is a bed and breakfast accommodation within a 600-year old fortified farmhouse. The B&B lies on a prestigious wine estate between Verona and Lake Garda. There are 4 magnificent and luxurious double rooms inside an ancient mast, each with a private bathroom and hairdryer, and every room is furnished differently with antiques, TV, and a minibar. There is no air conditioning, but you won’t need it, the metre-thick walls keep the rooms cool and fresh. With comfortable vacation accommodation, an excellent restaurant, and the chance to sample and buy fine Valpolicella, Amarone and Recioto wines, this promises a holiday of indulgence and luxury.
- Locanda cà dei maghi The new Locanda Ca’ dei Maghi is located in the most attractive area of Valpolicella: Fumane between Verona and Lake Garda. The property overlooks the valley and its yineyards and it is plunged in an atmosphere of tranquillity. All the bedrooms have a private bathroom, minibar, air conditioning and are sound proof. The property is provided of a restaurant that offers you the typical and traditional dishes of the Veneto region.
- Verona – city in Veneto, northern Italy
- Torri del Benaco – commune in Province of Verona
- Lake Garda – lake in Italy
Search Library of Italy
La Spezia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to La Spezia Liguria Italy
La Spezia is a town in Liguria in the northwestern region of Italy. Understand La Spezia is one of the four provinces of Liguria...
Bergamo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Bergamo is a city in Lombardy, a region of Italy, and the capital of the namesake province. One of the...
Asti Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Asti is the capital of the province of Asti, one of most important wine areas in Italy, and lends its name...
Milan Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Milan (Italian: Milano; Milanese: Milan) is financially the most important city in Italy, and home to the Borsa Italiana stock exchange. It is the second...
Ischia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Campania Italy
Ischia is the largest island in the bay of Naples and is considered by many to be the most beautiful, (though Capri is considerably more...
Turin Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Turin (Italian: Torino, Piedmontese: Turin), a large city of about one million inhabitants, is set in the Piedmont region of northwestern Italy, a one-hour drive from the...
Florence Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Tuscany Italy
Florence (Italian: Firenze) is the capital of the region of Tuscany in Italy, with a population of about 366,500. The city is a cultural, artistic...
Capri Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Campania Italy
The small Italian island of Capri is situated 5 km from the mainland in the Bay of Naples, a celebrated beauty spot and coastal resort since...
Lake Garda Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto
Lake Garda is a lake in the north of Italy, and the surrounding region. It is a popular holiday location. Browse down...
Bologna Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Northern Italy
Bologna (Emilian: Bulåggna) is a historical city, with around 380,000 inhabitants. Although it is well known by Italians, it is less so...
Castel Goffredo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020
Castel Goffredo has a much older history. The first human settlements date back to the Bronze Age (1800-1200 BC ),...
Lake Como Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lombardy Italy
Lake Como (Lago di Como; also called: Lario) is situated in the provinces of Como and Lecco in Lombardy, Northern Italyand is part of...
Castelfranco Veneto Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto region Italy
Castelfranco Veneto (Casteo in Veneto dialect) is between three main cities of the Veneto region, Treviso, Padova, and Vicenza, and is a...
Cesena Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Emilia-Romagna Italy
Cesena is a city and comune in the Emilia-Romagna region, served by Autostrada A14, and located near the Apennine Mountains, about 15 kilometres (9 miles) from...
Lucca Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Lucca Tuscany
Lucca is a city of some 90,000 people in Tuscany. Its long history goes back to Etruscan and Ancient Roman times, and...
Bruneck Brunico Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 South Tyrol Südtirol
Bruneck (Italian: Brunico) is a city in South Tyrol in South Tyrol, Italy. Understand Bruneck was first settled back in the Stone Age. Objects found (such...
Pavia Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Southern Lombardy
Pavia is a city in Lombardy, home to one of the oldest universities in Europe (founded in 1361) and many interesting churches....
Cortina d’Ampezzo Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Veneto Italy
ortina d’Ampezzo, is a ski resort in Italy Understand The most famous, fashionable and expensive Italian ski resort. Even in summer,...
Cesenatico Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Emilia-Romagna Italy
Cesenatico is a port town with about 26,000 inhabitants on the Adriatic coast of Italy. It is located in the...
Savigliano Coronavirus Covid-19 Holidays 2020 to Piedmont Italy
Savigliano is a small city in Piedmont about 50 km south of Turin. Understand The main features of the town are its picturesque Piazza...