Many of Payoneer’s millions of Freelancers have their freelance work paid into the card account, which is easier to open than a bank account in countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, Venezulea, Argentina and Balkan countries.
According to reports on Facebook, it is assumed that thousands’ of Payoneer Card holders are still unable to access their funds in Pakistan, Bangladesh and in Eastern European countries. Payoneer card holders within the European Union and certain countries outside the European Union face no restriction and AirBNB Host users are also able to withdraw funds, available on their cards.
Funds held by e-money firms like Wirecard are not guaranteed up to £85,000 as bank deposits are, although they are held in banks such as Barclays and will be safeguarded.
Payoneer has told customers: “Your funds are being held by Wirecard in a ring-fenced designated account with Barclays. This means in the event of Wirecard going bust you are protected.”
Even so, the FCA is anxious to make sure no money is siphoned off because of Wirecard’s collapse in Germany.
Christopher Woolard, the FCA’s interim chief executive, told the BBC’s Today programme the FCA had “imposed very strict conditions” on Wirecard’s UK subsidiary based in Newcastle, which had knock-on effects for about 70 payments firms, including some firms that operate out of the United Kingdom and the European Union.
Mr Woolard said the FCA had spent the last few days making sure money belonging to people in the UK and the European Union was now safeguarded in UK bank accounts with strict conditions.
The auditor of EB (Ernst & Young) signed of the full accounts made up to 31 December 2018 and according to the official Financial Statement, Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd held 465 million GBP in Customer Deposits.
WCSL has not filed the Financial Statement for 2019, but it is assumed that customer deposits of around 600 million GBP was frozen when the FCA suspended last week’s Wirecard operating in the United Kingdom.
US Designates 6 More China-based Propaganda Outlets as Foreign Missions
The United States has designated six additional China-based propaganda outlets as foreign missions, the newest push to counter communist propaganda.
The State Department issued a new determination on Wednesday that designates the U.S. operations of Yicai lobal, Jiefang Daily, Xinmin Evening News, Social Sciences in China Press, Beijing Review, and Economic Daily as foreign missions.
“They are all substantially owned or effectively controlled by a foreign government. We’re not placing any restrictions on what these outlets can publish in the United States," U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters during a news conference. "We simply want to ensure that American people, consumers of information, can differentiate between news written by a free press and propaganda distributed by the Chinese Communist Party itself.”
The latest determination follows the State Department’s actions on Feb. 18 and June 22, for a total of 15 Chinese outlets designated as foreign missions this year.
Wednesday's announcement is the latest U.S. step to curb Chinese activity in the United States in the run-up to the Nov. 3 presidential election, in which President Donald Trump has made a tough approach to China a key foreign policy theme.
The State Department has previously required Chinese media outlets to register as foreign missions and announced in March it was cutting the number of journalists allowed to work at U.S. offices of major Chinese media outlets to 100 from 160.
In response, China expelled about a dozen American correspondents with The New York Times, News Corp’s Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. Beijing also demanded that the Voice of America and Time magazine provide the Chinese government with detailed information about their operations.
Some information from Reuters.
Thai Prime Minister Lifts Week-Old State of Emergency
Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha has lifted a state of emergency he imposed one week ago but which failed to bring an end to months of protests seeking his ouster and reforms of the country’s constitutional monarchy.
The government announced the end of the emergency decree in a written statement Thursday, saying the situation had eased to the point where “government officials and state agencies can enforce the regular laws.”
Prayuth issued the state of emergency last week after tens of thousands of protesters marched on his office at Government House in Bangkok and vowed not to leave until he agreed to step down.
Despite the ban on public gatherings of more than four people issued in the decree, mass demonstrations continued in the Thai capital, prompting Prayuth to announce on national television Wednesday that he was planning to lift the state of emergency.
However, the protesters have promised to resume the demonstrations if he did not resign by Saturday.
Prayuth is a former army general who seized power in a 2014 coup that ousted the elected civilian government. He won election to the post last year, but protesters say the vote was rigged in his favor due to laws drafted by the military.
In addition to changes to the constitution, demonstrators are also seeking to reduce the influence of the Thai monarchy. The institution maintains a divine-like status among Thailand’s elite, and is protected by strict “lese majeste” laws that allow for imprisonment of anyone convicted of insulting the monarchy.
Earlier Wednesday, Thai courts reversed a decision to shut down Voice TV — a media outlet partly owned by the family of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Voice TV is one of four media outlets under investigation by the government for their coverage of the protest movement.
New Huawei Phone Comes at Crucial Time for Chinese Company
Huawei's new smartphone has an upgraded camera, its latest advanced chipset and a better battery. What it may not have outside the Chinese tech giant's home market is very many buyers.
Huawei, which recently became the world's No. 1 smartphone maker, on Thursday unveiled its Mate 40 line of premium phones, a product release that comes at a crucial moment for the company as it runs out of room to maneuver around U.S. sanctions squeezing its ability to source components and software.
The Mate 40 could be the last one powered by the company's homegrown Kirin chipsets because of U.S. restrictions in May barring non-American companies from using U.S. technology in manufacturing without a license.
Analysts say the company had been stockpiling chips before the ban but its supply won't last forever.
"This is a major challenge to Huawei and it's really losing its market outside of China," said Mo Jia, an analyst at independent research firm Canalys. The latest U.S. restrictions mean it "100% has closed doors for Huawei to secure its future components."
Executives said this summer that production of Kirin chips would end in mid-September because they're made by contractors that need U.S. manufacturing technology. In a press preview this week ahead of the Mate 40's launch, staff declined to answer questions on Huawei's ability to source chips. The head of Huawei's consumer business, Richard Yu, referred only briefly to the issue at the end of a virtual launch event Thursday.
"For Huawei, nowadays we are in a very difficult time. We are suffering from the U.S.
government's third round ban. It's an unfair ban. It makes (the situation) extremely difficult," Yu said.
Huawei, which is also a major supplier of wireless network gear, is facing pressure in a wider global battle waged between the U.S. and China over trade and technological supremacy. The U.S. government's efforts to lobby allies in Europe to not give it a role in new high-speed 5G wireless networks over cybersecurity concerns has been paying off, with countries including Sweden and Britain blocking its gear.
Huawei phones are not widely available in the U.S., but they're sold in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The company climbed to the top of the global smartphone rankings this summer, knocking Samsung off top spot by shipping 55.8 million devices in the second quarter to gain a 20% share of the market, according to research firms Canalys and International Data Corp. But the performance was driven by strong growth in China while smartphone sales in the rest of the world tumbled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Analysts say it will be hard for Huawei to remain No. 1.
"Huawei's in a tight spot," said Ben Wood, chief of research at CCS Insight. Along with the U.S. sanctions, it's also hurt by slumping confidence in the brand that makes retailers less keen to stock its phones. "And sadly, I don't think you're going to see the Mate 40 performing particularly well outside of China."
Huawei has a small but enthusiastic fan base in Europe, its biggest market outside China. But some users are turned off by the idea of sticking with the brand because of a related problem: recent models like the Mate 40, priced at 899 euros ($1,070) and up, can't run Google's full Android operating system because of an earlier round of U.S. sanctions.
Instead, they come with a stripped down open source version of Android, which doesn't have Google's Play Store and can't run popular apps like Chrome, YouTube and Search.
Mark Osten, a 29-year-old architect in Preston, England, bought a Huawei P30 last year when the contract on his previous Samsung phone ended.
He says the camera is great but hesitates to recommend the brand to others because of the uncertainty.
"I just can't imagine life without YouTube or Google," said Osten.
To make up for losing Google services, Huawei has built its own app store and has been paying developers to create apps for it. Users can request apps that aren't yet available, but it's not something that appeals to Chloe Hetelle, a 35-year-old events organizer in Toulouse, France, who bought a Huawei P20 model two years ago after switching from an iPhone.
"I don't want to request apps, I just want to have YouTube," said Hetelle. "I'm not really keen on struggling to get something that I would have easily with another phone."
Who’s In Line for COVID-19 Vaccines?
The COVID-19 vaccines are coming. The question is, who gets them first? And who is next in line? Two companies...
COVID-19 ‘Right Under Control’ in Australia, Experts Say
As Australia’s most populous state eases more COVID-19 restrictions, experts say the nation has brought the epidemic “right under control.”...
France, Spain Become Latest Nations to Have More Than 1 Million COVID-19 Cases
The number of nations with more than 1 million confirmed COVID-19 cases has risen to seven. Spain and France are...
Brazilian President Cancels Health Minister’s Plan to Buy Chinese Vaccine Against Coronavirus
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said he has canceled a deal to buy a Chinese-developed vaccine against the coronavirus, a day...
India’s Festive Season Poses Fresh Risk as Pandemic Crosses Peak
India heads into its monthlong Hindu festival season with some good news — a government-appointed committee of experts says that...
German Health Institute Sounds Alarm on COVID-19
The head of Germany’s disease control institute sounded an alarm Thursday, warning of a possible uncontrollable spread of COVID-19 as...
Millions of New Rapid COVID Antigen Test Kits Headed to Africa
New rapid coronavirus testing, soon to be available throughout Africa, could be a “game changer” for the continent, the World...
Three New Areas in Britain Tighten COVID-19 Restrictions
The British health minister announced Thursday that three additional areas of the country will see tightened COVID-19 restrictions after a...
Czechs to Get Ventilators from EU as Coronavirus Cases Soar
The Czech Republic will get 30 ventilators from the European Union and is seeking more help and equipment abroad to...
White House, Democrats ‘Serious About Finding Compromise,’ Pelosi Says
The White House and the Democratic-majority U.S. House of Representatives “are serious about finding a compromise” on a second massive...
Pope Reverts to Mask-Less Old Ways Amid Growing Criticism
A day after donning a face mask for the first time during a liturgical service, Pope Francis was back to...
CDC Says Impact of Pandemic on US Mortality Underestimated
A new study released Tuesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says nearly 300,000 more people in...
British PM, Opposition Debate Pandemic Response
British Prime Boris Johnson pushed back again Wednesday on opposition efforts to implement a two-week "circuit-breaker" nationwide lockdown to stem...
Common Cold Could Protect Against COVID-19, Research Shows
Having a cold might protect sufferers from a severe case of COVID-19, new research shows. COVID-19 patients who had recently...
Argentina Now Has 1 Million Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
Argentina is now the world’s fifth country with more than one million confirmed COVID-19 cases. Data collected by Johns Hopkins...
Imperial College London Recruiting Healthy Volunteers to Infect with COVID-19
The British government is supporting human trials for a potential COVID-19 vaccine in which healthy human subjects will be infected...
Emergency Food Needs Surge as COVID-19 Continues to Spread
The World Food Program reports food insecurity is increasing worldwide because of the devastating socio-economic impact of COVID-19, with tens...
British Finance Chief Defends Government’s COVID-19 Strategy
Britain’s finance minister Tuesday defended the government's localized three-tiered approach to fighting the spread of COVID-19 in the country, saying...