Varenna is a fairly sedate, attractive lakeside village in the central part of Lake Como in the Lombardy region of Italy. It is traditionally a fishing village and has colorful houses and villas built close to each other on a little piece of land just below a mountain. With staircases and steep paths, the historical centre of Varenna is nicely cozy and has bars with terraces and a pedestrian walk along the lake shore.
The village has some nice hotels and restaurants (some of the best on the eastern shore of Lake Como), a conference centre for physics (Villa Monastero regularly hosts the national Italian research conference) and two botanical gardens worth a visit in Villa Monastero and Villa Cipressi.
Varenna viewed from Lake Como
Varenna is on the line that runs from Milan to Lecco, up the eastern side of the lake through Varenna and on to Colico, then to Morbegno, Sondrio and Tirano. Express trains leave from Milano Centrale station, stop at few stations, and reach Varenna in approx. 1h. Regional trains leave from Milan Porta Garibaldi, stop at all stations (including Fiumelatte, a southern subdivision of Varenna), and reach Varenna in 1h30 or 2 h. The trains are a convenient way to move along the eastern shore of Lake Como, but the service finishes quite early in the evening (the last train leaves Milan at 21:20).
- Stazione di Varenna-Esino (at the village of Perledo, just across the stream of Esino at the N border of Varenna). Regional services line Calolziocorte – Lecco – Colico – Sondrio, RegioExpress train services on the route Milan – Lecco – Sondrio – Tirano. Check Trenord website for timetables and fares.
Fly to Varenna
The nearest airport is Orio al Serio International Airport (sometimes referred to as Milan Bergamo) in Bergamo, which is served by several low-cost airlines. Driving distance is around 70km (1hr 10mins); by public transport the easiest way is to take a bus from the airport to Bergamo railway station where you can catch a train to Lecco and then change to a train to Varenna.
Milan Linate Airport and Milan Malpensa Airport are relatively close, although the latter is further away, being on the west side of Milan. Drive time from either of these is around 1hr 40 mins. Public transport is more comfortable than from Orio al Serio; from Milano Malpensa you can get to Milan central station with a bus or train and from there you can take the train to Varenna; from Milano Malpensa there is a public bus (the ATM shuttle takes you directly to Milan central station) and from there you have the train to Varenna.
Boat trips across Lake Como are an essential part of any holiday in this region. Varenna is directly served by the lake’s ferry network which provides connections to/from several towns and villages on the lake shore.
- Ferry piers (at the N end of Varenna). Vehicle ferry services to Bellagio, Cadenabbia (near Tremezzo) and Menaggio. Passenger ferry connections to Lenno, Tremezzo and Como. Check Gestione Navigazione Laghi website for timetables and fares.
A flight of steps on one of the old alleyways
Varenna is a small, compact village best visited on foot. It’s on a steep hill with lots of steps, but there is a fairly level and very attractive waterside path along most of the shoreline. The village has one frazione (subdistrict), Fiumelatte, which is south of the main village, past the Villa Monastero garden.
If you want a taxi, you can probably find one at the Varenna-Esino railway station.
- Vittorio Ongania Auto Pubblica Taxi, Piazza della Stazione a Perledo.
- Ruggero Maglia Servizio Taxi, Via Statale 45 a Varenna.
- Enrico Faggi Servizio Taxi, Via Per Esino 81 a Perledo.
What to see and do
Ruins of Castello di Vezio above the village of Varenna from Lake Como
- Villa Monastero, Viale Giovanni Polvani 4 (southern end of Varenna) , ✉ email@example.com. 9.30am–7pm (last entry 6:30pm). Garden: daily 1 Mar – 1 Nov; house museum: Jun, Jul, Aug – daily ; 1 Sep-4 Oct – Tu-Su; 5 Oct-1 Nov – F-Su, holidays, Tu only 1pm–6pm. Originally it was a convent, which was later, in the 17th century, converted to a manor. Currently villa Varenna and a garden around it is a museum. It is preserved as a house of the late 19th century and its 14 furnished rooms can be visited. It also hosts conferences (in particular it has hosted physics courses that have been attended by over 60 Nobel Prize winners) and is owned by the Province of Lecco. The garden is on a narrow strip of land that stretches 2 km along the lake shore until Fiumelatte. The climate is mild and the garden includes species from Africa and the Americas. €8 for garden and house museum (free for children up to 13 years old); €5 for garden only.
- Villa Cipressi gardens, Via IV Novembre 18. Daily Apr–Oct 9am–6:30pm (last entry). The villa is now a hotel and restaurant, but non-guests may visit the gardens, which are charming, while not as grand as some others on the lake. Costs a few euros, or a Villa Monastero ticket may give you entrance here too.
- Church of San Giorgio.
- Church of San John the Baptist (San Giovanni Battista).
- Museo ornitologico e di scienze naturali Scanagatta (museum of ornithology and natural sciences Scanagatta), Via IV Novembre 18. In general Saturday and Sunday. €3.
- Vezio Castle (Castello di Vezio) , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily Mar–Oct, opens 10am, closes 5pm or later depending on month & day of the week (check hours ); closed when it rains. The castle is in the municipality of Varenna, while the little village of Vezio is in the municipality of Perledo. It has a permanent exhibition of the Lariosaurus. It is home to captive birds of prey (owls, hawks, buzzard, falcon) with flight exhibitions on some days. Adult €4, child 6–12 years €2, student or over-65 and others €3.
What to do
- Cookery Lessons at Ristorante Il Caminetto, viale Progresso 4, Gittana di Perledo. Chef Moreno gives relaxed and informative lessons in Italian cookery from his family restaurant in the neighbouring village of Gittana, up in the hills (they’ll come and collect you from the main square in Varenna). Group sizes are small, and everyone gets to sit down for lunch afterwards to enjoy the fruits of their labour. After lunch, they’ll take you back to Varenna or drop you off at Vezio Castle from where you can walk downhill back to Varenna.
- Hiking itinerary: Historic mule tracks between Varenna and Esino Lario
- Al Prato (Ristorante-enoteca), Piazza al Prato, 6. A nice restaurant and a wine bar at a quiet tiny green square.
- Varenna Caffe, Contrada Scoscesa, 13 (on the waterfront path). Relaxed café serving breakfast, lunch and dinner or just drinks with lakeside views.
- Vecchia Varenna, Contrada Scoscesa, 14 (on the waterfront path). Small lakeside restaurant serving local dishes, with good lake views if you sit in their enclosed outdoor area. Great place to eat at sunset.
There are a few bars around, especially on the lakeside. L’Orso is last one to close (at 2 am).
Where to stay in Varenna
Passenger and vehicle ferry docks in front of the Hotel Olivedo
- Appartamento Maria’s House (Bed & Breakfast), Via Contrada dell’Arco 3 , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 1 rooms, 3 reds. 360 € – 600 € per week.
- Ca’ Livia (Bed & Breakfast), via Venini 45 , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 5 rooms with 5 beds, 4 bathrooms (130 m2 e 400 m2 of terrace, balconies and garden). 1’200 € – 2’500 € per week.
- Agriturismo Castello di Vezio – Vezio s.r.l., via Del Castellano 16 – Vezio (Above Varenna) , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 27 beds in 9 houses. 55 € – 95 €.
- Albergo Ristorante Bar Tabaccheria Beretta, via per Esino 1 (Few meters from the railways station and the boat station) , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10 rooms, 20 reds. The hotel is 50 meters from the lido, the lake shores. 58 € – 80 €2013.
- Albergo Moncodeno, Via della Croce 2 , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 11 rooms (7 double and 4 single), 18 beds. 70 € – 100 €.
- Albergo Del Sole, p.zza San Giorgio 21 (In the centre) , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7 rooms, 15 beds. 70 € – 170 €.
- Albergo Dulac, via del Prestino 11 (on the waterfront path) , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 17 rooms, 35 beds. 85 € – 240 €.
- Eremo Gaudio, Eremo di Perledo- Loc. Eremo Varenna , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11 rooms, 22 beds. 100 € – 125 €.
- Hotel Olivedo, Piazza Martiri della Libertà 14 (on the waterfront path) , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 10 rooms, 20 beds. Stile Liberty (Art Nouveau) hotel on the waterfront. 100 € – 150 €.
- Albergo Milano, Via XX Settembre 35 , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 8 rooms, 16 beds; the rooms have a balcony with view of the lake. 130 € – 160 €.
- Albergo Milano Dipendenza – Casa rossa e casa gialla, via XX Settembre 35 , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 4 rooms, 8 beds. Dependence of the Hotel Milano. 110 € – 185 €.
- Albergo Ristorante Royal Victoria, p.za S. Giorgio 2 , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 43 rooms, 97 beds. In the city centre; rooms with a view of the lake and towards the city centre. Conference rooms, swimming pool and garden with access to the lake. 110 € – 220 €.
- Hotel Villa Cipressi, Via IV Novembre 18 , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. The villa was built between 1400 and 1800. It is now owned by the city council of Varenna and managed as a hotel and restaurant. It has 43 rooms, 97 beds, 2 conference rooms and access to its beautiful botanical garden. 110 € – 220 €.
Telecommunications in Varenna
- Bellagio – take a day trip by ferry across the lake to visit the gardens of Villa Melzi and Villa Serbelloni
- Menaggio – a town across the lake, on the western shore
- Esino Lario – a mountain village
- Perledo – a village very close to Varenna
- Tremezzo – take a day trip by ferry to the western side of the lake to visit Villa Carlotta and Villa del Balbianello
European Union Borders / Schengen to Shut due to Coronavirus Covid-19
The European Union’s external borders will be closed to non-essential travel for 30 days as of Tuesday to fight the spread of the coronavirus, while France...
Already eleven Corona Infections at the Pope’s Swiss Guard
In the Vatican, seven other members of the pope’s Swiss Guard tested positive for the corona virus . This increased the number of demonstrably...
Corona measures in Italy – Italy reacts to the 2nd Wave of Covid-19
Italy introduced a nationwide facemask requirement in the open due to the increase in new infections. If you don’t wear...
Lombardy Free Covid-19 Holidays 2020
Lombardy or Lombardia is a northern region of Italy, and with 10 million people is the most populous one. Producing...
Lake Garda Covid-19 Free Holidays Veneto
Lake Garda is a lake in the north of Italy, and the surrounding region. It is a popular holiday location. [wppress-covid19 display=”card”...
Veneto Free Covid-19 Holidays 2020
Veneto is a region in north-eastern Italy, with its capital in Venice. It was an independent republic until the invasion of Napoleon in 1797....
Carpi Covid-19 Free Holidays Emilia-Romagna Italy
Carpi is a city in Emilia-Romagna. Carpi could be a nice stop in your trip from south to north of Italy on...
Procida Covid-19 Free Holidays Campania Italy
Procida is a small island near Naples in Campania, Italy. Understand Marina di Corricella Procida is the smallest island of the Gulf of Naples, relatively...
Chiusi Covid-19 Free Holidays Val di Chiana Tuscany
Chiusi is a city in the Val di Chiana region of Tuscany, Italy. It was one of the twelve cities of the Etruscan League. In...
South Tyrol Covid-19 Free Holidays 2020 Südtirol
South Tyrol (German: Südtirol, Italian: Alto Adige or Sudtirolo, Ladin: Sudtirol) is the northernmost region in Italy, bordering Austria to the north and northeast, Switzerland to the northwest, and the rest of...
Sirmione Covid-19 Free Holidays Lombardy Italy
Sirmione is a comune in the province of Brescia, on the peninsula of the same name in Lake Garda. The Ancient Roman...
Venice Covid-19 Free Holidays Veneto region Italy
Venice (Italian: Venezia; Venetian: Venexia) is a sanctuary on a lagoon is virtually the same as it was 600 years ago, which adds...
Barolo Covid-19 Free Holidays Piedmont Italy
Barolo is a little city in the Piedmont region of north west Italy. It is part of the larger Langhe wine growing region. It is...
Montepulciano Covid-19 Free Holidays Siena Tuscany
Montepulciano is a city in Tuscany famous for its wines, especially the classic red wine Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. The town has gained notability...
Castel Goffredo Covid-19 Free Holidays
Castel Goffredo has a much older history. The first human settlements date back to the Bronze Age (1800-1200 BC ),...
Castelfranco Veneto Covid-19 Free Holidays Veneto region Italy
Castelfranco Veneto (Casteo in Veneto dialect) is between three main cities of the Veneto region, Treviso, Padova, and Vicenza, and is a...
Cesena Covid-19 Free Holidays Emilia-Romagna Italy
Cesena is a city and comune in the Emilia-Romagna region, served by Autostrada A14, and located near the Apennine Mountains, about 15 kilometres (9 miles) from...
Lucca Covid-19 Free Holidays Lucca Tuscany
Lucca is a city of some 90,000 people in Tuscany. Its long history goes back to Etruscan and Ancient Roman times, and...
Bruneck Brunico Covid-19 Free Holidays South Tyrol Südtirol
Bruneck (Italian: Brunico) is a city in South Tyrol in South Tyrol, Italy. Understand Bruneck was first settled back in the Stone Age. Objects found (such...
Pavia Covid-19 Free Holidays Southern Lombardy
Pavia is a city in Lombardy, home to one of the oldest universities in Europe (founded in 1361) and many interesting churches....