Market in Jilin CityIn the northeastern part of the People’s Republic of China is the province of Jilin.
- I Geography of Jilin
- II Climate of Jilin
- III Economy of Jilin
- IV Major Touristic Attractions in Jilin
- V Understand
- VI Talk
- VII Get in
- VIII Get around
- IX See
- X Do
- XI Eat
- XII Drink
Jilin Province is bordered by Liaoning Province, North Korea and Russia to the east, the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region to the West and the Province of Heilongjiang to the north.
Jilin (吉林, Jílín） Province forms the central part of northeast China and is part of what was once known as Manchuria. Jilin borders Heilongjiang Province to the northeast Russia to the east, North Korea to the southeast, Liaoning to the southwest and Inner Mongolia to the northwest.
Geography of Jilin
The Baiyun Mountain is the highest peak in the Province of Jilin at 2691m. Jilinhada, Longgang and Zhang Guangcai are the other mountain ranges in Jilin.
The river Yalu and Tumen flowing in the southwest of Jilin Province and the river acts as a border to North Korea.
Siping, Jilin City, Baicheng City, Changchun Songyuan, Yanji, Tonghua and Liaoyuan are the other important cities of Province of Jilin.
Climate of Jilin
The continental monsoon climate has an average rainfall of 350 to 1000mm in Jilin and the province has at times harsh winters.
Economy of Jilin
Jilin is basically an agri province that produces maize, rice and sorghum. In the Yanbian prefecture rice cultivation is a major source of income. West Jilin is well known for sheep herding.
Some of the major industry in the Province of Jilin is Automobiles, Train carriages and iron alloy industries.
Jilin, with a nominal GDP of 522.6 billion Yuan was ranked 22nd in the People’s Republic of China for the year 2007 and it had a per capital income of 19,168 Yuan.
Major Touristic Attractions in Jilin
Visitors should visit the Wandu, Gungnae Fortress, the Goguryeo sites and tombs and the Pyramidal General’s tomb which are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Popular tourist destination for natural scenery is the Baekdu Mountain with Lake Heaven sharing borders with North Korea.
If you enough time, you should travel to the Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture that houses the ancient royal tombs of the Balhae Kingdom, that include tombs at the Longtou Mountain such as of the Princess Zhen Xiao’s at a Mausoleum.
JiLin province, which is in the central part of northeast China, plays an important role in researching the origin of prehistoric jades and cultural exchange in this area. And the name derives from building Jilin Wu La City at the beginning of the Imperial China (Ji for short), and the provincial capital is Changchun City. It is 607 km from north to south and 770 km from east to west. It accounts for 2% of the national area. Jilin province is a multi-ethnic province, like Korean, Manchu, Mongolian, Hui, Xibe and so on. The climate belongs to the warm temperate zone continental monsoon climate, the four seasons is distinct, with hot rainy season, excellent surroundings, temperature being suitable.
Chinese phrasebook and Korean phrasebook are spoken widely in this region. Especially in Yanji City, most of people can speak Chinese Mandarin and Korean.
Jilin province has two public airports, Yanji Airport and Changchun Longjia International Airport (长春龙嘉国际机场) . Each receives domestic flights as well as international flights from Seoul in South Korea. Changchun also has a route to Tokyo, Japan. Changchun City is 31 km, and Jilin City is 71 km form Changchun Longjia International Airport.
Taxis are by far the best way to get around. They are cheap but you should have a piece of paper with the address in case you do not speak Mandarin. Taxi fares start at ¥5 up to 2.5 km (some cities will need to plus a mandatory ¥1 fuel surtax), after that ¥1.30/.5 km or ¥1/700 m. Several taxi companies are serving the city and they will not try to cheat you. It is common for drivers to pick up other passengers who might be going in the same direction if there are unused seats.
However, in case driver is taking you in circles – in this case complain for example at the hotel drop-off point. The staff there normally will support you in such cases. For other cases simply pay not more than shown on the meter. In general: Make sure you know the name of the places you are going to in Mandarin or have a paper with the Chinese address with you.
From April to October, it is a decent walking city, as the weather is fine. During the winter months temperatures are too cold to walk longer distances in Changchun, so other forms of transport should be considered.
By light rail
Changchun light rail (轻轨; qīngguǐ) Line 3 goes from the west side of the train station (长春站) to Changying Movie Wonderland (长影世纪城). It travels past Changchun University (长春大学) approximately half-way along the route, and takes 63 minutes to complete the entire journey. A ticket, purchased at any light rail station, costs ¥1-4 each way, based on the distance traveled. Operates 6AM-9PM daily.
A south-north route (Line 4) runs on Linhe Street. Its northern terminal is the New North Railroad Station and its southern terminal is the government center at CheChang.
Free transfer between Lines 3 and 4 can be had at the LinheJie (Line 3) and WeixingLu (Line 4) stations.
Bus system is cheap and convenient, and most of the buses in the urban area charge only ¥1 no matter where you go. An extensive bus network and most of the buses cost ¥1, however, those who can not read Chinese will find it nearly impossible to use the network.
Travel by minivan in Jilin
In Changchun and Yanji, if you are in need of an adrenaline rush, look no further than one of the minibuses that tear around the city streets. Some places out in the suburbs are only serviced by such buses, and the fare is usually ¥1-2.
Travel by bicycle in Jilin
Travelers should be cautious of bicycling. For the winter months it is generally too cold and during the summer months, too dangerous. Unlike other big cities in China, some cities like Changchun, Baicheng and so on do not separate cycle lanes from the main traffic, which leads to buses, taxis, cars, and motorcycles sharing the same space as the cyclists. The whole situation is dangerous and this is perhaps the reason why by Chinese standards there are few people who regularly cycle here.
If you want to bike around, it is recommended that you follow closely behind one of the local people on cargo-bike, merchant-bike, or donkey. There are off times during the day when biking would be less challenging. Drivers are not overly aggressive towards bikers.
If you need to get somewhere fast then jump on one of these. It is used in the most cities. They are unlicensed to carry fare paying passengers, so bear in mind that if there is an accident, you might find yourself in trouble. However, they tend to drive in the cycle lanes at quite low speeds and so are safer than you might expect.
Landmarks and buildings
The Tomb of the General
The Puppet Manchukuo government’s State Department 伪满洲国务院
Baitou Mountain Tianchi
- Goguryeo Ancient sites. the remains of the ancient kingdom of Goguryeo. The Goguryeo are credited as the ancestors of the Korean people. These sites include including Wunu Mountain City, Guonei City and Wandu Mountain City; fourteen imperial tombs; twenty-six noble tombs; a General’s Tomb; and the monument to the nineteenth Emperor of the Koguryo Kingdom, which are now UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Most of these are around Ji’an.
- Puppet Emperor’s Palace. The former residence of Puyi, the last emperor of China and the Puppet Emperor of Manchuco on behalf of the Japanese. In the north east of Changchun.
- Wen Miao Confucian Temple. In Jilin City. Together, Confucius Temple in Nanjing, Confucius Temple in Beijing and Confucian Temple in Qufu are called “Four Confucious’Temple of China”. It is important national protective object. The size of the building group and high level are unique in the feudal society. Every building facility there are full of deep culture.
- Changbaishan. Changbaishan is 2749 m high and is on the border between China and North Korea. It’s capped with snow all year round and has virtually no living vegetation on top. In Chinese, it’s known as Changbaishan – “Chang” for always, “Bai” for white, and “Shan” for Mountain. Located in the counties of Antu, Wusong and Changbai in southern Jilin Province, Changbaishan is one of China’s nature preservation zones, covering an area of over 200,000 hectares, extending 78.5 km north to south, and 53.3 km west to east. It has a wholesome natural environment and ecosystem with world famous precious animals like Northeast Tigers, sikas, sables etc. It’s China’s typical comprehensive nature existence of world importance.
Parks and nature
- Longtou Mountain. These hills contain ancient Tombs including the Mausoleum of Princess Zhenxiao and royal tombs of the Balhae kingdom. It is in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture.
- Rimmed Trees of Jilin. The trees are extolled as one of the four major natural wonders of China along with the Three Gorges of the Yangtze River, the landscape of Jilin and the Stone Forest of Yunnan.
Museums and exhibitions
- Meteorite Museum. In 1976, Jilin was hit by a heavy meteorite storm. Many of the stones were collected and placed into this museum. The largest stone weighs 1,775 kg and is thought to be the largest meteorite in existence.
- Jingyuetan National Scenic Area. It is one of the AAAAA class scenic spots of the first group in China. Jingyuetan national forest park in Changchun of Jilin Province is located in the eastern mountains to the western steppe transition zone, Changbai Mountain is a hilly are with peaks 119-406 m above sea level. The park is to the south-east of Changchun City, 9 km from the city center!
- Jilin Ice Lantern Festival — not as famous as the festivals in Harbin but still worth a visit (during mid-January)
- Old Ship Bar (老船吧), Between Jingcheng Street and Anshun Road. Literally housed in a small wooden sailing ship. Serves beer and other beverages, has indoor barbecue features for seafood as well as other types of barbecue, Western flavors, a cheerful atmosphere and melodious music.
- Mayflower Bar(五月花酒吧), Between Qinghua Road and Lixin Street. The beer here is very good and the music here is “very passionate”.
Search in China
Todays News on China
Articles on China
Why does Beijing Risk Hong Kong’s Future as a Global Financial Center?
The new security law which punishes criticism of Beijing, is a threat to the financial center and the beginning of...
Tony Chung : First Arrests under new Security Law in Hong Kong
The former leader of a student group in Hong Kong has been arrested – 19-year-old Tony Chung is accused of...
Corruption allegations in Namibian 5G deal with Huawei
A city councillor in Namibia’s capital has alleged she was offered a bribe by a local politician to ensure Chinese tech...
Australia sent letter to the SG of the United Nations, refuting China’s sovereign position in the South China Sea
Australia stated to the United Nations that China’s sovereignty position in the South China Sea is not in conformity with...
Alibaba and Jack Ma summoned by Indian Courts to respond to Complaints
Court documents show that an Indian court issued subpoenas to more than a dozen individuals and companies including Chinese Internet...
Singaporean pleads Guilty to Spying for China in the United States
A Singaporean man recently pleaded guilty to spying for Chinese intelligence services, the US Department of Justice announced Friday. The...
Beijing Coronavirus Covid-19 News Update
Beijing (北京 Běijīng) is China’s capital, and its second largest city after Shanghai, with a population of more than 20 million. It has been...
Germany Announces Response to China’s Hong Kong Security Law
German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, visited his British counterpart Dominic Raab in London on Wednesday. If necessary, Germany would implement...
Pompeo Orders CCP to Close Down Texas Consulate Office
The first emergency call came in shortly after 8 p.m. on Tuesday evening when a fire and smoke above the...
Diplomatic Timeline of the South China Sea from 1932 to 2020
The South China Sea, called the “South China Sea” in China, is a large sea area south of China, east...
So much is the outside influence on the World Health Organization WHO
The World Health Organization (“WHO”) is an institution with 194 member states that campaigns for the fight against diseases and...
China Continues to Battle Its Worst Flooding in Wuhan
Chinese authorities issued more flood warnings Friday as weeks of torrential rains have caused the worst flooding in more than...
UK Criticizes China Over Uighur’s and Hong Kong
LONDON – Britain and China issued new salvos of criticism against each other Sunday, with the U.K. foreign secretary hinting...
Covid-19 Tibet Autonomous Region News & Updates including Coronavirus
Although there is an active independence movement in Tibet, from a traveller’s point of view, Tibet is under the control...
Xi Jinping’s Wife – China’s first lady plays an important role at WHO
Transparency at the WHO? Nothing! The World Health Organization (WHO) has long been criticized: During the Corona crisis, dealing with China...
Corona App in China : Fear of permanent surveillance
China controls its citizens in the corona pandemic using a smartphone. Now there is growing fear that the spying could become...
The Missing Bloggers from Wuhan
They reported from Wuhan and then disappeared: The fate of three citizen journalists shows how rigorous China is against critics...
Reports about Corona in Wuhan – Another Citizen journalist indicted in China
A citizen journalist has been charged in China with criticizing the measures taken by the Chinese authorities in Wuhan. Other civil...
European Union Borders / Schengen to Shut due to Coronavirus Covid-19
The European Union’s external borders will be closed to non-essential travel for 30 days as of Tuesday to fight the spread of the coronavirus, while France...
New corona outbreak in Beijing – Salmon as a Scapegoat
Dozens of new infections with Sars-CoV-2 are reported in Beijing. The authorities want to have traced the outbreak to a salmon...
- Coronavirus13 hours ago
Iran Shutters Newspaper After Expert Questions Coronavirus Numbers
- Coronavirus8 hours ago
Business Lobby Raises Concerns Over Trump Payroll Tax Break
- Coronavirus14 hours ago
Thai King Welcomes New Officials as Protests Rage
- Africa14 hours ago
Ethnic Violence in Sudan’s West Darfur Sends Thousands Fleeing to Chad